5 o’clock cocktail || last ward
Been a long time between drinks. We bet you are all thirsty. Fear no-more, we have a great cocktail to share. We came across this recipe when googling ‘Rye’ & ‘Chartreuse’ . It is the recipe of Philip Ward from Death & Co in NYC. Found here on this blog.
Here is how you do it. First off grab yourself all of the following to make one cocktail:
- 1 ounce rye whiskey
- 1 ounce Green Chartreuse
- 1 ounce maraschino liqueur (I prefer Luxardo brand)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
Then you follow these steps to make yourself a mighty fine drink:
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Shove in all the liquid ingredients above.
- Shake until chilled & frosty.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and drink.
Don’t skimp on cheap overly sweet and bright red looking maraschino cherries. Look for the dark rich and full of flavor imported variety from France or Italy, like these ones that you can buy by clicking here. If you are in Chicago stop by the Matchbox [via] and pick up a jar, they sell them for around $16.00.
For some additional inspiration on whiskey based drinks and for ‘in-the-manner-of’ Manhattan recipes check out 12 Bottle Bar [via], they have some great posts on historical references to cocktails too.