next stop || JAMAICA
This month we are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary, with a need to escape this ridiculously snowy-arctic-cold Chicago winter [a.k.a ‘Chiberia’], we selected Jamaica as our destination. With non-stop flights from Chicago we are going to fly into Montego bay and then hit up two locations: Negril & Oracabessa Bay. We have started a list, but would love your suggestions & recommendations. Please add them into the comments below.
- Cosmo’s Restaurant and Bar – For the best fried and roasted fish with Escovitch, curried goat, bammy, and rice and peas, while dining next to locals.
- Pushcart (at Rockhouse) – For the best “cliff side” restaurant and bar and roots rock reggae music (the band is called The Overtakers).
- Juici Patty – Best Jamaican beef patty.
- Rick’s Cafe – Best place for sunsets.
Oracabessa Bay / Ochos Rios
- Ok this area is not exactly known for restaurants? But if anyone has any tips we are all ears.
- Evita’s – Italian fine dining in an adorable gingerbread house.
- Scotchie’s – Best jerk chicken on the island as they say.
- Bourbon Beach – For the best dancing and live music.
- Morass Royal Palm Reserve (well worth the short cab ride!) – Best nature walk and sight seeing.
- Mayfield Falls – Best waterfalls (well worth the short cab ride!).
Oracabessa Bay / Ochos Rio
- Firefly – Home of Noel Coward & final resting place.
- Dunn’s River & Waterfalls – A national treasure for Jamaica.
- The Caves – High-end rustic cliff top accommodation.
- The Rockhouse – Locally owned rustic & low key luxury.
- Tensing Pen – Founded in the 70’s as a secluded getaway.
Oracabessa Bay / Ochos Rio
- Goldeneye – The home of Ian Fleming – writer of 12 James Bond novels. The lagoon cottages allow you to jump right into the sea from your patio.
- Jamaica Inn – A favorite since the 1950’s here time stands still.
- Best Rum – Wray & Nephew Overproof with grapefruit juice and lime (or cranberry and lime), along with Appleton Reserve on the rocks, & Blackwell Rum know as ‘black gold’.
- Transportation – Island Transfers great trip advisor ratings or Jamaica Exquiste Transfer.
- Dale Hudson – A great & reliable driver email him for details email@example.com
- VIP Airport Services – get through customs & the airport on arrival / departure fast.
- The Telegraph [UK] has nice little destination guide online.
- Pinterest – Check out my visual travel guide for all things Jamaica.
- Bon Voyaging – Check out our itinerary all nicely mapped out.
Whilst booking accomodation I came across Pack for a Purpose – this is a great organization that, in their own words “Small space. Little effort. Big impact”. They ask travelers to pack supplies for the community and leave them with participating resorts. It seriously is effortless, head to amazon, fill your cart & pack the goodies & go [or donate online]. We have loaded up on alphabet cards, wall charts, colored pencils & good ole’ #2 pencils ready to bring smiles to teachers & kids faces in Jamaica. Brilliant idea – well done Rebecca & Scott Rothney, we will be checking the list for each of our destinations from here on in before we travel.